Answers to Commonly Asked Questions about PRP Treatments
What is a Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy?
Did you know that injured tissues, such as tendons, muscles, ligaments and joints, can be repaired with components of your own blood? PRP, or Platelet Rich Plasma can be extracted from a person’s own blood and injected into the injured area. PRP is plasma with a high concentration of platelets and growth factors.
What are the benefits of PRP therapy?
PRP therapy can aid –
- faster healing
- reduction of bruising and bleeding and bruising
- enhanced wound closure
- reduced inflammation and swelling
- faster bone growth
- stabilization of bone and/or soft tissue
Is PRP therapy safe?
PRP therapy is a safe treatment since the PRP is extracted from a person’s own blood, eliminating the risk of infection and rejection. The healing agent is your own blood platelets.
Why is PRP therapy better than other pain relief treatments?
PRP injections help the injured or damaged tissues heal naturally. That means PRP actually heals your tissues rather than simply relieving the symptoms.
Where can PRP therapy be most effective?
PRP therapy can help in –
- Knee injuries, such as anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries and meniscal tears.
- Ligament Injuries, such as strains, sprains and MCL or medial collateral ligament (bands of tissue inside your knee) injuries and LCL or lateral collateral ligament (running outside the joint of your knee) injuries.
- Tendon Injuries, such as Achilles tendon, rotator cuff, quadriceps and patellar tendons, and tennis elbow.
- Muscle Injuries, such as quadriceps, hamstrings, biceps, triceps and calves.
- Cartilage Injuries, as in osteoarthritis
- Stress fractures, such as overuse injuries and shin splints.
- The body needs Calcium to build and maintain st...
- Studies show that early diagnosis is the key to...
- Osteochondritis dissecans (OCD) is a joint dise...
- Millions of people, with debilitating injuries ...
- Tennis is a great sport to play, but the impact...